The Community Streetcar Coalition (CSC) is comprised of cities, local governmental entities, private sector companies, transit agencies and individuals committed to collective and coordinated advocacy for streetcars. The CSC was formed in 2004 in response to the federal streetcar program created by legislation sponsored by Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR). Since then, we have been carrying messages to Capitol Hill and the Administration from cities and other project sponsors who seek to build streetcars.
Specifically, the CSC seeks to:
- Expand federal funding for streetcar projects
- Shape federal policy initiatives to recognize the important role of streetcars within the landscape of livable communities, specifically the streetcar's ability to bring economic development to urban areas
- Promote streetcars as a mode for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and curbing energy consumption, thereby improving the quality of life of all citizens
- Create an improved and favorable project approval framework for streetcars in the federal New Starts/Small Starts program
As a member of the CSC, you will have the opportunity to participate in regular conference calls. We use this time constructively to discuss federal updates on the New Starts/Small Starts program and vet questions regarding legislative and regulatory matters.
In addition to conference calls, CSC Executive Director Jeff Boothe sends regular e-mails to members as federal developments occur that affect the CSC. The CSC also communicates with members through its website, www.streetcarcoalition.org, and through Twitter, @StcarCoalition.
The CSC meets in person twice a year at the following conferences. These conferences provide great opportunities for professional development and networking within the industry.
- Spring: Streetcar Summit, New Orleans, LA in 2018
- Fall: Rail-Volution Conference, Pittsburgh, PA in 2018
We would love to have you join our growing list of members! To become a part of the CSC, please visit the sign up page for instructions. Upon completing the user registration, contact us in order to finalize your membership. The three levels for annual membership are listed below:
- $4,000 - Communities and transit authorities with existing streetcar service; private sector companies
- $2,000 - Communities, transit authorities or business development organizations in the planning stages of a streetcar project
- $1,250 - Smaller Private Sector companies (contact us for details).
- $400 - Individuals
On February 24-26, we will host the tenth Community Streetcar Summit where elected officials, project sponsors and representatives from the industry will gather in Tucson, Arizona. We will hear from representatives of projects from around the country, cover topics selected by the members of the coalition, and develop legislative strategy in support of funding for streetcar projects.
In order to participate in the 2019 Streetcar Summit, we recommend you become a member of the CSC. If you're not ready to join the CSC, you can still attend the Streetcar Summit on February 24-26, 2019. The price of attendance is listed below. This fee goes towards event space rental, food, beverages and costs accrued from the 2019 Streetcar Summit Book and other materials distributed during the Summit. Payment can be made via check or online with a credit card via PayPal. Link provided on the registration page.
Sponsorship of the Streetcar Summit is available. Some registrations are included with sponsorship. Please see the sponsorship page for more information and to sign up as a sponsor.
- $100 Registration for Members
- $300 Registration for Non-Members
If you'd like to attend the Streetcar Summit as a CSC member, please contact us. While you wait for membership verification, please go ahead and register for the Summit using the nonmember registration form below.